The Hidden Dangers of Your Microwave

370 Flares Filament.io 370 Flares ×

file0001742981300

They can pop corn in a jiffy and reheat last night’s dinner faster than you say “lazy ass.”

Just a quick zap and you’ve got yourself a hot meal, baby. But as it turns out, your favorite kitchen shortcut may have a hidden agenda.

What your microwave isn’t telling you

Microwaves have dominated our kitchens since 1967 and more than 90 percent of Americans have one in their homes. But microwaves are also a form of electromagnetic energy that produce radiation. (You know, the same stuff in atomic bombs.) This radiation has been known to decay and change the molecular structure of naturally occurring amino acids in food.

What does this mean for your food?

Conclusions from studies are pretty clear: Microwave ovens actually change the nutrients, minerals and vitamins in food to produce radiolytic compounds – new chemicals that are created by the screwing around of the old ones. In one of the most integral studies completed on microwave ovens, Swiss scientist Hans Hertel found that microwaved foods did a number on our blood and physiology. In his study, participants who ate food cooked in a microwave oven experienced a decrease in hemoglobin levels, and an increase in white blood cell count and cholesterol levels.

The Dangers of the Hotbox

Next time you consider reheating your morning tea in the Gremlin Killer, consider some of the potential harmful effects:

1. Turns some minerals into cancerous agents and can cause tumors in the stomach or intestines (Though there’s no solid evidence that microwaves cause cancer, contrary to popular belief)
  2. Can cause decreased immune system function
  3. Can cause memory loss and emotional problems associated with mental problems
  4. Slows down hormone production

Microwaves are Considered Unsafe for Baby Milk

Although microwaves heat food quickly, they aren’t recommended for heating a baby’s bottle (or that sippy cup your friends make you use when you drink wine, klutz). Heating formula in a bottle causes the loss of vitamins and essential nutrients. In breast milk, some of the protective properties and nutrients are also destroyed. Warming a bottle by holding it under warm water or setting in a bowl of heated water may take a few minutes more, but it is much safer and beneficial to your baby.

What Can You Do?

This doesn’t mean you need to eat cold food for the rest of your days. Use convection ovens, your stove or oven to heat and reheat your meals. They’re safer because they heat by circulating hot air and heat to raise the temperature.

Let’s be real – there will be times when you’re in a hurry. Just cut down on your microwave time if you’re not ready to toss it altogether. It could also make a great spot to stash your mail.

370 Flares Twitter 25 Facebook 343 Pin It Share 0 Email -- StumbleUpon 0 Google+ 2 LinkedIn 0 Filament.io 370 Flares ×

9 Responses to “The Hidden Dangers of Your Microwave”

1. June 18, 2013 at 7:47 am #

This article is very relevant to me because a number of family members insist on using microwaves to warm up their food every day. I will be sharing this article with friends, family and FB fans. Microwaves pose a significant health risk. Thiis dangerous!

2. June 18, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Piffle!

3. June 18, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

I threw my microwave out years ago given this information. Good riddins.

4. June 19, 2013 at 6:44 am #

I love you guys. I know it’s not really my business, I’m just really curious: Kim, are you and Rory still together? Still besties and in each other’s lives? I can wait to read your novel. I work at a library and made sure they ordered it!!!! Have a great day!

5. June 20, 2013 at 11:11 am #

So their is no scientific evidence relating microwave to cancer scare. Ok then. But there is radiation, like in the atomic bomb, but less than in the normal sun rays or our ‘smart”phones. Hmmmm. I am 75, have been using microwave modestly over 30 years. Ok then.In that period of time, it would be helpful to know how many who have come down with cancer have discarded or never used microwaves. Ergo the deduction: We know nothing. Now, I have no objection to the convection or regular ovens and prefer them for cooking variety and have been thinking of getting a small convection oven for cooking preference only.

6. July 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

We recently moved into a new home that did not come with a microwave and if we wanted one we would have to purchase one. It’s AMAZING to me how much I realized we NEVER used our microwave in our old place! I have always heard about how they aren’t great for reheating things so I used it as little as possible, besides, lets face it, how great is food that comes out of the microwave? Some stuff reheats SORT OF ok but things like leftover pizza taste like rubbery garbage once reheated in the microwave. I do not plan to purchase one, maybe a convection oven one day, but even that is at the bottom of our “to-do” list! :)

7. November 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

For the 75 year old gentleman and any other citizen. Microwave does not cause cancer; it does however denatures the quality and the nutrition value of food. There are many studies to this regard. In some peoples case it may not make any difference because their natural state of health many times have to do with having good genes; however for many people who do not have the good fortune of having inherited good genes, the nutritional property of food is very important to consume on a daily basis.

8. March 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

This microwave is a silent killer to the human body my advice stop useing it.

9. March 5, 2014 at 10:17 am #

I would recommend reading this article: http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/02/26/jane-says-everything-you-know-about-microwaves-wrong

and this article: http://www.foodpolitics.com/2010/03/the-fate-of-vitamins-in-vegetables-stored-and-cooked/

microwaving may seem dangerous but it’s the best way to preserve nutrients in foods, and it preserves them more effectively than cooking with an oven does.